Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Not so quick on my feet...

I love running! I've been trying to get back into it these past few weeks after the birth of Silas. I'm training for a 5k and can't wait until I get that "I'm in shape" feeling back. I was a sprinter in middle school and high school and transitioned into longer distances in college. I've even run a couple of half marathons (though not well and I don't really enjoy them). I've always been physically "quick on my feet." That's why it pains me that when it comes to spiritual sharpness, I often blank. I'm about as slow as they come. So I'm trying out this whole biblical parenting thing and I've committed to use God's Word to guide the way I discipline. Isaac provides me with numerous opportunities everyday to practice! He's such a good helper! :) We've been working lately on not throwing things in the house. Bless his little heart, he's having a hard time with it. A few months ago we were encouraging him to throw the balls to us and cheered wildly when he threw it straight down and it landed 2 feet in front of him. He's progressed a little since then and his toys ricochet around the room with one quick swing of his arm. So, what once was greeted with cheers and applause is now met with a firm, "No, no!" At one of his recent pitching practices, I decided to let him know that he needed to stop while using my new biblical approach. "Isaac, please don't throw your car. It's not (pause)....kind. Yeah. And.....um.... God wants you to be............(longer pause)kind. That's what the Bible says." (Cringe.) Come on, Desiré! You've got a degree in Bible theology and that's the best you can come up with? Yeah, like I said, not so quick on my feet. So I've been compiling a list to help me out. If you're impressed with the list, don't look at me, I'm a copycat. I went through "Don't Make Me Count to 3!" by Ginger Plowman and "The Well-Versed Family" by Caroline Boykin and found what I could use for Isaac in their books. They have a plethora of Scripture you can use in parenting your child and tons of examples of how to practically make it work. A lot of it would be over Isaac's head right now, but there are plenty of verses that can speak to his heart already. I've honestly been blessed as I've been speaking God's Word to him recently. Ephesians 6:1-Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Galatians 5:22-23- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Matthew 5:16- In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Proverbs 15:1- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Luke 6:31- Do to others as you would have them do to you. Proverbs 20:11- Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right. I think it's important to not only use Scripture as a means of discipline, but also as a means to encourage Isaac. I'm going to blog more about that soon, but I want to use these verses not just for correcting, but for teaching (in a positive way) and encouraging him as well. I'm excited to add more to my list as I come across them and as Isaac matures and begins to understand more! Please comment with any verses that you have used or think a toddler would understand that I can add now! As I practice speaking the truth of the Bible to him, I pray that it becomes more and more natural for me. I hope to get back into spiritual shape and become "quick on my feet" when I'm given opportunities to run to God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment